- Service Groups
- Our People
- Title Services
- News & Events
Thomas C. Holmes
Tom is a member at Day Ketterer, focusing his practice on education law. Tom has spent his entire legal career representing public school districts, educational service centers and community schools throughout Ohio in various student, labor, employment and contractual matters. Through his extensive experience, Tom is able to help schools and educational service centers identify legal concerns early and resolve them as efficiently and inexpensively as possible.
A skilled litigator, Tom has served as lead counsel in every aspect of the litigation process, participating in numerous hearings, trials and appeals before Ohio trial and appellate courts as well as the Supreme Court of Ohio. Furthermore, Tom has represented schools and educational service centers at grievance and arbitration hearings, and has successfully defended them against workers’ compensation and unemployment compensation claims, unfair labor practice charges and discrimination complaints.
Tom also has considerable experience advising clients on a variety of public sector construction issues, such as those pertaining to competitive bidding requirements; the hiring of architects, construction managers, and contractors; contract negotiations; design and construction defects; change orders; delay claims; and mechanics liens.
Additionally, Tom has negotiated numerous collective bargaining agreements on behalf of school districts and has participated in various proceedings before Ohio’s State Employment Relations Board pertaining to labor disputes. Tom has also represented school districts in real estate tax valuation disputes before county boards of revision and the Ohio Board of Tax Appeals.
Tom is a frequent lecturer at conferences, seminars and in-service training sessions on unique legal issues affecting public entities. Prior to joining Day Ketterer, Tom was a partner at Pepple & Waggoner, Ltd.
When not practicing law, Tom spends his free time enjoying the outdoors with his four sons and coaching a variety of youth sports in the Chagrin Falls and Bainbridge Township areas.
PUBLICATIONS AND SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
- Student Search and Seizure Requirements Under the Fourth Amendment, School Law Update Seminar, 2016
- Employment Contracts – Beyond the Four Corners of the Document, School Law Update Seminar, 2014
- The Nuts and Bolts of School Construction, School Law Update Seminar, 2013
- Strategies for Reducing Employee Absenteeism, OALSS, 2013
- Choosing the Tax Levy That Is Right for Your District, OSBA Board Leadership Institute, 2012
- Student Bullying, Hazing and Technology Use, School District Administrative In-Service, 2012
- Administrator Contract Focus, School Law Update Seminar, 2012
- Community Schools – Challenges and Opportunities, School Law Update Seminar, 2011
- Pruning the Bad Apples – Teacher Termination for Poor Performance, BASA, 2011
- Is Subcontracting-Outsourcing Services the Best Option for Your District?, OSBA Treasurers’ Clinic, 2010
- Managing Student Activity Funds and Groups, School Law Update Seminar, 2010
- Ohio’s Criminal Background Check and Misconduct Reporting Obligations, School District Board Member In-Service, 2010
- Employment and Bargaining Issues Treasurers Must Know, OSBA-OASBO Treasurers’ Clinics, 2009
- Practical Suggestions for Implementing a Reduction in Force, School Law Update Seminar, 2009
- Ohio School Boards Association, Member
- Ohio Council of School Board Attorneys, Member
COURTS AND BAR ASSOCIATIONS
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law, Juris Doctor, cum laude, 2001
- Miami University, B.A., Psychology, cum laude, 1998
To contact Tom, please e-mail him at firstname.lastname@example.org or call him directly at 330.650.4362.